1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Mission: To do exactly as the book suggests, listen to (and critique) each and every album listed in the 2005 edition of the book '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' edited by Robert Dimery. The albums are chronologically arranged starting with Frank Sinatra's 'In The Wee Small Hours' and ending with The White Stripes' 'Get Behind Me Satan'.

Tuesday 22 June 2010

The Project Begins!

My long, arduous mission is about to commence. I am about to be hurled back to 1955 and embrk upon a 1001 album journey through the ages until we reach 2005. Along the way I will encounter a whole range of genres; from pop, R&B, folk, hip hop, country, electronic, jazz, punk, grindcore, heavy metal, alternative rock, progressive rock, easy listening, to 1950s style rock and roll. On the one hand, I am thrilled that I will be introduced to a whole range of artists which I would otherwise not have known as well as revisit classic albums and artists and reveling in the majesty of these classic albums. On the other hand, I am under no illusion this is going to be entirely joyful. Indeed, there are a number of albums on this list which are going to be anything but pleasurable to listen to. However, I am certain the positives are going to outweigh the negatives (at this point in the project anyway).

So why do this?

1) I love music.

2) I love a challenge.

3) I hope to be introduced to a whole range of music I otherwise wouldn't listen to.


I am not going to set any time limit to complete this task. Whenever I get the time I will listen to and critique the albums in order. I just hope I have the time and, more importantly, the will to make it to the end. A number of revisions have been made to the original publication to include albums after 2005. If by some miracle I make to the end of the book, I will include the albums included after 2005 as an extension.

So without further ado, I present to you 1001 albums to hear before you die through the eyes of Steve Sloan.

No comments:

Post a Comment